Welcome back to all returning families and a special greeting to the kindergarten parents/families new to our community! We hope you enjoyed the summer, and we are looking forward to another exciting and successful school year. We would also like to extend a warm “welcome back” to our new Principal, Dr. David Huber, and our wonderful teachers/staff, all of whom are incredibly supportive of the activities of the PTA.
My name is Michelle Burns and I am excited to serve as your PTA president for the 2015-2016 school year. This will be my family's 7th year at South Side and my 2nd year in this role. My husband and I first joined the PTA as a way to stay on top of what was going on at our children’s school, but we have since found that it has been a great experience for our family. Your PTA officers Robyn Beaudoin (1st Vice President), Jean Kovitch (Secretary), Kim Davis (Treasurer), Kelly Bierut (2nd Vice President), and I will be partnering closely with you, Dr. Huber and SSS teachers/staff to make this year a great success.
The PTA is an organization that works for our children. We partner with parents, teachers, staff and the community to deliver educational programs, fun family events and services to our children to enrich their academic experience. Many of the experiences your child has through school are made possible through the PTA. For example, last year we sponsored enrichment programs in art, reading, science, math, theater and anti-bullying. We also sponsor Scholastic Book Fairs, class Field Trips and the School Store program.
A successful PTA requires support from the families of our students. Here are a few easy ways that you can get involved:
- Become a member of the South Side School PTA - We welcome all SSS families and staff and encourage you to consider joining. (see attached form)
- Attend PTA meetings - Monthly meetings are usually held on Tuesday evenings at 7:00 pm. We value your time so we try to keep our meetings brief and informative. (Join by the first PTA meeting on September 22nd and you/your family will be entered for a chance to win a drawing for a South Side PTA Season Pass. The season pass will give your family free admission to 3-4 Family Fun events for the 2015-16 school year.)
- Clip/send in Box Tops and participate in the Store Rewards programs. These are tremendously important fundraisers for our school! Through Box Tops for education and local store reward programs you help purchase needed supplies for the school each year.
- Stay on top of upcoming events through the following:
- join our closed Facebook group - South Side Family
- like the school's public Facebook page - South Side Elementary School
- read flyers sent home with students each week regarding upcoming events or fundraisers
- follow Principal Huber on Twitter - @DavidJHuber
The PTA gives families an additional way to engage in their children’s school lives. Whether you have 30 minutes or a couple of hours to help out ...your ideas, your talents and your voice is needed and appreciated. Volunteering through the PTA is a rewarding experience and truly makes a difference in the lives of all of our kids and the SSS community.
If you have questions, please stop by the PTA table at the Back to School Open House - Thursday, September 10th. We also hope to see everyone at our PTA meeting - Tuesday, September 22nd at 7:00 pm. Thanks in advance for your support and we are looking forward to an epic school year!
South Side School PTA
Welcome to an exciting year at South Side Elementary School! This year, our school will be participating in the Labels for Education® program. My name is Crystal Hopkins and I am the Labels for Educationcoordinator for our school. Through the program we can collect UPCs and beverage/sauce caps from participating products to earn points that can be redeemed for FREE educational merchandise!
Our goal this year is to collect 50,000 points that we can redeem for cash in support of school activities and needed supplies. It’s easy to help – simply save UPCs and beverage/sauce caps from participating products and drop them off at South Side Elementary School.
If you have any questions, or would like to help with our Labels for Education collection drive, please contact me at Crystalhopkins81@gmail.com.
Thank you for your support. Together with the Labels for Education program – we can build a better school for our children.
Visit Facebook.com/LabelsForEducation to find out about additional ways to earn Labels for Educationbonus points!
To see a complete list of participating products and point values, please visit LabelsForEducation.com.