Literacy Support Staff
Mrs. Sinkwich, Mrs. Ayotte, and Mrs. Beaudoin
February 2018 Update:
The Literacy Team has been working hard every day to provide interesting and engaging lessons for our students! We use assessment data to make decisions on what strategies and skills are needed to master their next level of reading. Please continue to read with your child at home and ask questions to check for his/her understanding. Here are some good ones to try: What did you learn after reading this book? What information did the author want you to learn? What was the most important part of the book or text? Why? What does this text remind you of? What are some of the challenging or important words you learned from your reading? Thank you for your continued support! Happy Reading!
Hello Families! Happy Fall to you All! Take some time this season to get cozy and enjoy some great books together! Below are some activities to enhance your child’s literacy skills:
- and compare different versions of a story
- the same story over and over to learn it better
- other stories or tales with similar themes
- information to research parts of the story
- and experiment using different voices to represent the different characters
- and talk about the various settings in the story and have your child draw one
- then discuss the key events in the story in the correct sequence
- then illustrate a comic strip of the main events
- then think up a new ending for the story and ask him/her to write it out
- ask your child to retell the story from one character’s point of view
August 2017 Update
Hello from the Literacy Team!
Mrs. Ayotte, Mrs. Sinkwich, and Mrs. Beaudoin
are working diligently in focus reading groups to foster reading independence.
Students are learning how to use early reading strategies, develop
phonological awareness skills, and answer text dependent questions in an effort
to become successful readers!
You can help your child by setting aside time daily to read with them and discuss what
they have read. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.