Music Department Philosophy & Goals
MUSIC DEPARTMENT PHILOSOPHY
Music is a vital component in developing the whole child. Music education offers a unique learning opportunity to explore individual creativity, artistic expression and in-depth understanding of past and present cultures in our diverse world.
A comprehensive music education will enable students to develop their musical abilities through self-discipline and focus, leading to increased confidence in learning across the entire curriculum.
We believe that all students should have a comprehensive, balanced, and sequential curriculum of in-school instruction in music education in accordance with national, state and local standards, and that an education in music will develop the lifelong learning abilities and aesthetic skills necessary to contribute to a more cultured, educated society.
MUSIC DEPARTMENT GOALS
Through a planned, sequential curriculum, Bristol Public Schools will educate each student in conjunction with the National Core Music Standards, enabling students to engage in the Four Artistic Processes (create, perform, respond, and connect to music) as developed by the National Coalition for Core Arts Standards. Students will demonstrate skills and knowledge in each of the following artistic processes:
- Imagine – Generate musical ideas for various purposes and contexts
- Plan and make – Select and develop musical ideas for defined purposes
- Evaluate and refine – Evaluate and refine selected musical ideas to create musical work that meets appropriate criteria
- Present – Share creative musical work that conveys intent, demonstrates craftsmanship, and exhibits originality
- Select – Select varied musical works to present based on interest, knowledge, technical skill, and context
- Analyze – Analyze the structure and context of varied musical works and their implications for performance
- Interpret – Develop personal interpretations that consider creators’ intent
- Evaluate and refine – Evaluate and refine personal and ensemble performances, individually or in collaboration with others
- Present – Perform expressively, with appropriate interpretation and technical accuracy, and in a manner appropriate to the audience and context
- Select – Choose music appropriate for a specific purpose or situation
- Analyze – Analyze how the structure and context of varied musical works inform the response
- Interpret – Support interpretations of musical works that reflect creators’/performers’ expressive intent
- Evaluate – Support evaluations of musical works and performances based on analysis, interpretation, and established criteria
- Connect – Synthesize and relate knowledge and personal experiences to make music
- Connect – Relating musical ideas to varied contexts and daily life to deepen understanding