Creating Memorial Boulevard was the idea of Albert F. Rockwell, founder and president of The New Departure Manufacturing Company. New Departure made doorbells, coaster brakes for bikes, and ball bearings.
The Boulevard was part of a proposal offered by Rockwell that included the land and half the cost of a new high school, now Memorial Boulevard Middle School. In return, the City of Bristol would be responsible for building the roadway itself. Voters accepted his offer by a 5-1 ratio, and the high school, completed in 1922, enrolled 560 students the first year.
Bristol High School was renamed Bristol Central High School in 1959 when Bristol Eastern High School was constructed. In 1967 it became Memorial Boulevard Junior High School housing 7th, 8th and 9th graders until 1980 when West Woods Middle School was closed. At that time, The Boulevard became a school for 7th and 8th graders on an official middle school schedule. In 1993, however, the school changed dramatically with the opening of Chippen's Hill Middle School allowing room for 6th graders to also be housed at the Boulevard.
Today, Memorial Boulevard Middle School 6th, 7th and 8th graders enjoy the full facilities of this marvelous high school building including a fitness room, and a full sized auditorium located on the Boulevard of monuments to America's war veterans.