Below is an overview of how we identify students. There are exceptions made for various circumstances, special needs, and unique situations. Please contact the Teacher of the Gifted for any inquiries.
BRISTOL PUBLIC SCHOOLS
IDENTIFICATION PROCESS FOR GIFTED STUDENTS
· The Teacher of the gifted will generate a list of students meeting the established Reading and Math goals on the CMT.
· Copies of the Scales for Rating the Behavioral Characteristics of Superior Students will be sent to Gifted Coaches for distribution to students’ teachers (Grades K-5) or to teams (Grades 6-8). At the elementary level, the current year and previous year's (if needed) teachers will fill out separate forms. At the middle school level, the team will complete one form together.
· Teachers and/or the principal may nominate students with no test data or other special circumstances and add them to the list of potential students. Gifted Coaches should notify the Teacher of the Gifted regarding nominated students.
· The Gifted Scales will be completed by the teachers (Grades 3-5) or by the team (Grades 6-8) for all students on the list of potentially identified. All packets should be returned by the Gifted Coaches to the Teacher of the Gifted by the date noted. The Teacher of the Gifted will analyze the scales to identify students who qualify for Step 4.
· Letters will be sent home to the parents of students that meet the criteria in Steps 1 – 3 to inform them of the identification process.
· Parents will be asked to sign a release form for further testing.
· The Teacher of the Gifted will administer the Test of Critical Thinking and Creativity.
· The administration of each test takes about 40 minutes. Students from various grade levels may be tested in the same room at the same time.
· If a student’s combined Critical Thinking and Creativity score falls below the grade level criteria, parents will be notified by the Teacher of the Gifted that their child has not qualified for the gifted program.
· Students meeting all criteria in Steps 1-5 will be identified as gifted.
· The Teacher of the Gifted will submit a school list of identified gifted students to the building Principal and the Assistant Superintendent.
· This information will include student name, address, phone number, school, grade and parent name.