Requirements for Participation
1. SCHOLASTIC ELIGIBILITY
In order to participate on an interscholastic athletic team, an athlete must have satisfied all of the scholastic eligibility requirements prior to participation.
A. Full Co-Curricular Eligibility
In order to be eligible to participate in all aspects of a co-curricular activity, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Must carry a minimum of 6 academic credits plus ½ physical education credit per year.
- At the end of the previous marking period pass all subjects. For the first marking period must have passed all full year and second semester subjects during the previous year.
- By July 1 of the previous year, be less than nineteen (19) years old for athletic participation. (CIAC regulation). No student-athlete will be allowed to start a season or compete during a season in which he/she turns twenty (20).
- Transfer student’s grades are interpreted by the standards of the previously attended school.
B. Partial Co-Curricular Eligibility
A student placed on Partial Co-Curricular Eligibility would be granted limited participation but will not be able to represent the school in any type of competition, performance, etc. (i.e. athletic, drama, musical)
To gain Partial Co-Curricular Eligibility, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Be carrying a full academic load, the load for all students are a minimum of 6 academic credits plus ½ physical education credit per year.
- Fail no more than 1 subject at the end of the previous marking period. For the first marking period must not have failed more than 1 full year or a 2nd semester subject during the previous year. In the event that a student fails a first semester course which cannot be repeated the second semester, the student will be placed on Partial Co-Curricular Eligibility for the third marking period and must be passing all subjects at the midpoint of the said marking period.
- Partial Co-curricular Eligibility will be offered to a student only once per academic year. The period of Partial Co-Curricular Eligibility will extend to the midpoint of the marking period (Progress Report Grade Date) following the marking period in which the failure occurred. A student on Partial Co-curricular Eligibility must attain a minimum average of “70” in the subject that was failed. Partial Co-Curricular Eligibility will be extended in the event that the Bristol Summer School offerings are not available to make up the academic failure. In the event that Partial Co-Curricular Eligibility is granted for the 1st marking period, the student must be passing all subjects at the midpoint of the marking period.
- Any student receiving a grade of “incomplete” shall be placed on Partial Co-Curricular Eligibility until a letter grade is submitted by the teacher or at the midpoint of the marking period.
- Transfer students’ grades are interpreted by the standards of the previously attended school.
- By July 1 of the previous year, be less than nineteen (19) years old for athletic participation. (CIAC regulation) and not turn twenty (20) before or during their competitive season.
In addition, the student participating on an interscholastic team agrees:
- Not to participate on another similar team outside of school while on the school’s team.
- Not to receive any personal economic gain based on athletic skill.
- To participate only under his or her own name.
- Not to participate in any post season or invitational contests as a representative of the Bristol Public Schools without the school’s explicit and expressed permission.
The failure of one (1) team member to abide by all of the eligibility rules will result in the forfeiture of all contests for the team while the individual was ineligible.
C. INELIGIBLE STUDENT- ATHLETES
1. An ineligible student-athlete will not be allowed to participate in any team practices or contests.
Consult the Supervisor of Athletics, Building Athletic Coordinator, or Principal for other rules affecting athletic eligibility.
2. PHYSICAL EXAMINATION
A yearly physical examination is required. The proper school form must be completed and returned to the school prior to the first practice session. No athlete will be issued equipment or participate in organized practices or scheduled games until he/she has given the School Nurse a current sports physical examination form from a physician. The interscholastic sports physical form, which includes an important warning statement, must be filled out and signed by both parent or guardian and the prospective student-athlete. All sports physicals are valid for a period of 13 months. Students and parents of multiple sports are responsible for knowing the expiration date and making sure the sports physical remains current throughout the year.
3. EMERGENCY MEDICAL AUTHORIZATION
Emergency medical forms must also be filled out by the parent or guardian. These forms will enable the student athlete to receive medical attention for injury or illness that occurs while participating in school sponsored activities if the parent cannot be reached to give consent to emergency personnel.
4. PARENT/ATHLETE ACKNOWLEDGMENT FORM
Prior to the first practice, each student athlete must submit to the coach, a Parent/Athlete Acknowledgment form. This form will consist of an acknowledgment by both the student athlete and his/her parents or guardian that he/she has read, understands and agrees to adhere to the regulations included in this athletic handbook.